Sunday, September 20, 2009

What a Day

Ok so the entry is purely about the exahusting day I have had, and also the amazing realization I have come to about my boss. He trusts me! Now I understand that most people would not think this to be an amazing conclusion you would need to know my boss for at least a short period of time, or know someone who has worked for him and had to hear the repeated stories of insanity. You see Stanley is man of very few words but they must be abrasive, abusive and, loud, definately loud. This is why him and I get along as well as we do. He can dish it I can take it. Please make no mistake I can dish with the best of ther craziest of the restaurant owners,(because I have worked for them ALL).
So today was very busy, what we would normally sell on an average Sunday we sold by 10am. By 3pm we had sold 3 times the amount we would have sold. The strangest part is Stanley sat through the whole thing. Silent and smiling he watched us through out the day laughing and joking with us all. No yelling no screaming our names from the Kitchen door, I have to say Terry and I were afraid he had a stroke.
Stan calls me over and asks me to sit down, he puts his hand on my knee and says, "Kid I don't have a single complaint today. Your team did a great job. Make sure that they know it." I have to say this blew me away.
I had to send one staffer home at 11am, he had an appointment that I had forgotten about and just had to suck up the loss. I can say without hesitation I really thought there would be an expolsion of an extreme magnitude. All he did was ask "Why does he have to leave?" I explained it was my fault and he had to leave. He asked if I thought it would be ok and I said that it could be hard but I had faith that they could do it. he smiled and told me, "Ok go to it".
And go to it we did we ran he smiled, we sold and up sold and he smiled. he just couldn't stop smiling, seriously thought of stroke was on my mind. Please understand I don't mind him being happy as a clam, it just takes a bit to get used to.
I have spent many tiring hours changing staff shifts and times, working different shifts myself to see how staff interacts with each other and also how they are with the customers, ( I have some faithful regulars on all 3 shifts we have, that are always willing to share) and if the sales change from when I'm on the floor. the reason I do this is because my work has been plagued with very high staff turn over, this does not make my job easy. I wanted my job to be easier. Since I took over as GM I have only fired 2 people and have only had staff quit because of leaving the country or province. that means a great deal to me.
It's finally I think it might be getting easier. I have gained trust and confidance from my boss, one of the most notorious pricks in this game to date. it fills me with some awesome pride to know that all that hard work has finally paid off.

This one may not seem like alot to some and it might have put you to sleep but this was one of my best days.

more later, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment